NEW STANDARD DEFINES MODULAR OPEN SYSTEMS APPROACH (MOSA) FOR ARCHITECTING DEPLOYED SENSOR PROCESSING SYSTEMS
ASHBURN, Va. – October 6, 2021 – Curtiss-Wright’s Defense Solutions
, a leading supplier of rugged modular open systems approach
(MOSA) solutions engineered to succeed, today congratulated The Open Group and the Sensor Open Systems Architecture™ (SOSA) Consortium
on the public release of SOSA Technical Standard 1.0. The standard, developed through the collaboration and participation of government and industry working together, defines open system reference architectures applicable to military and commercial sensor systems. Curtiss-Wright is an active contributor to the definition and advancement of the SOSA standard and is a key participant in several SOSA Consortium working groups (including holding a chair position in the SOSA Consortium). By establishing guidelines for C5ISR systems, the new standard fosters flexibility in the selection and acquisition of sensors and subsystems that provide sensor data collection, processing, exploitation, communication, and related functions over the full life cycle of the deployed system.
Download Our Modular Open Systems Approach (MOSA) White Paper
Curtiss-Wright has also recently published a new guide, “Modular Open Systems Approach (MOSA): Why Open Standards Like CMOSS and SOSA are the New Normal,” that provides an overview of these important open standards and how they impact new embedded system requirements. The guide can be downloaded here
“The release of the new SOSA Technical Standard is a milestone event for the embedded aerospace and defense industry,” said Chris Wiltsey, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Curtiss-Wright Defense Solutions division. “The SOSA Technical Standard will help drive interoperability and reduce the costs associated with rapidly fielding today’s most advanced radar processing, communications, electronic warfare (EW), electro-optical/infra-red (EO/IR) and signal intelligence (SIGINT) applications, as well multi-INT sensor systems, to the warfighter. As a proud contributor and participant in the development of this important standard, we extend our congratulations to The Open Group and the SOSA Consortium on this historic achievement.”
SOSA Technical Standard 1.0 Aligned Solutions
Based on modular design and widely supported, consensus-based, nonproprietary standards, the SOSA Technical Standard defines key interfaces to meet the following goals:
- Reduce development cycle time and cost
- Reduce systems integration cost and risk
- Increase commonality and reuse
- Reduce sustainment and modernization cost
- Support capability evolution and mitigate obsolescence
- Enable technology transition
- Facilitate interoperability
- Isolate the effects of change
Curtiss-Wright offers a broad range of products aligned with SOSA Technical Standard 1.0 that enable system designers to get their system development programs right away. Current SOSA aligned OpenVPX™ products include:
3U VPX Processor & GPGPU Cards
- VPX3-1260: The powerful VPX3-1260 Intel-based processor card is ideal for advanced processing and various C5ISR applications, and offers variants aligned to both I/O Intensive and Payload Profiles.
- VPX3-1707: The VPX3-1707 Arm-based processor card offers incredible performance per watt for systems optimized for size, weight, and power (SWaP), and is aligned to the I/O Intensive Profile.
- CHAMP-XD1S: The CHAMP-XD1S digital signal processor (DSP) is designed to offer high performance and hardened security for compute-intensive applications, and is aligned to the I/O Intensive Profile.
- VPX3-4935 GPGPU board: The rugged VPX3-4935 GPGPU board with NVIDIA® Quadro® Turing™ GPU architecture provides a top-tier module for intense processing and artificial intelligence (AI) in High Performance Embedded Computing (HPEC) systems, and is aligned to the Payload Profile.
3U VPX A-PNT Timing Card
3U VPX Networking Cards
- VPX3-663: The VPX3-663 hybrid switch combines PCIe Gen 3.1 and 10G Ethernet switching in a single 3U VPX module, and is aligned to the Expansion/Control Plane Switch Profile.
- VPX3-687: The VPX3-687 is a fully managed and versatile Ethernet switch optimized for both low-latency control plane and high-throughput data plane applications, aligning with the Data/Control Plane Switch Profile.
For additional information about Curtiss-Wright SOSA aligned solutions, please visit www.curtisswrightds.com
, LinkedIn, and Twitter @CurtissWrightDS.
About The Open Group
The Open Group is a global consortium that enables the achievement of business objectives through technology standards. Our diverse membership of more than 850 organizations includes customers, systems and solutions suppliers, tool vendors, integrators, academics, and consultants across multiple industries. Further information on The Open Group can be found at www.opengroup.org
About Curtiss-Wright Corporation
Curtiss-Wright Corporation (NYSE:CW) is a global innovative company that delivers highly engineered, critical function products and services to the Aerospace and Defense markets, and to the Commercial markets including Power, Process and General Industrial. Building on the heritage of Glenn Curtiss and the Wright brothers, Curtiss-Wright has a long tradition of providing reliable solutions through trusted customer relationships. The company employs approximately 8,200 people worldwide. For more information, visit www.curtisswright.com