Needham, MA – August 05, 2015 – The Object Management Group® (OMG®) today announced the launch of its new Data Distribution Service™ (DDS™) Portal at http://portals.omg.org/dds. The Portal provides a comprehensive set of information on DDS, the proven Internet of Things (IoT) data connectivity standard. The new Portal is focused on the needs of IoT developers and replaces the previous DDS Portal with an enhanced user-friendly interface and improved structure.
The Portal is designed as a resource hub for the DDS community and provides access to detailed information including: technical overview and benefits of using the DDS standard, use-cases, listing of companies that are building systems with DDS, directory of resources and vendors, news and events, and links to the latest DDS-related standardization work at the OMG.
DDS is a middleware protocol and API standard for data-centric connectivity from the OMG. It integrates the components of a system together, providing low-latency data connectivity, extreme reliability, and a scalable architecture that business and mission-critical IoT applications need, resulting in smarter decisions, new services, additional revenue streams, and reduced costs. DDS simplifies the development, deployment, and management of applications, thereby speeding time-to-market.
“DDS is a perfect fit for both the Industrial IoT (IIoT) and large-scale Consumer IoT applications, such as autonomous vehicles, industrial automation and smart cities,” said Dr. Richard Soley, Chairman and CEO, OMG. “It is already well-proven in industries ranging from smart transportation to healthcare to smart energy.”
DDS enjoys an active and vibrant community continuously working to extend its applicability. The new DDS Portal is fully supported by the leading vendor implementers of the DDS standard including PrismTech, Real-time Innovations (RTI) and Twin Oaks Computing.
“The IoT vision is about enabling organizations to optimize the value of data through the creation of new services and operational efficiencies,” commented Keith Steele, PrismTech Founder and OMG Board Director. He continued, “The DDS specification from OMG is a key international standard for IoT data connectivity, crucial for enabling the realization of this vision. This new DDS Portal, developed collaboratively among the key DDS vendors and OMG, is a great step forward. I encourage everyone interested in making IoT a success to get involved in the DDS standards process.”
“DDS is the standard that delivers the reliability, performance, scalability, and security required for the Industrial Internet of Things,” said Stan Schneider, CEO of RTI. “DDS can connect sensors to the cloud, interoperate across vendors, and span industries. The updated Portal, built cooperatively with the OMG and leading vendors, provides advanced usability, technology descriptions, and application use cases. The growing DDS community now has a great starting place to learn about the technology.”
“One of the core challenges for Industrial and Consumer IoT applications is achieving robust, reliable, and secure data communications between heterogeneous devices. DDS has been successfully connecting diverse computing nodes in challenging environments for years,” said Clark Tucker, President and CEO of Twin Oaks Computing. “DDS continues to be a relevant and crucial infrastructure component in IoT systems because of the efforts of the OMG to evolve the DDS standard and the efforts of the vendors to keep pace with their DDS products. The OMG DDS Portal provides a great resource for DDS novices and experts alike to learn about the DDS standards and technologies.”
Highlights of key features of DDS include:
- Open Standard: DDS is a mature, proven standard open to participation by both vendors and users. It enables end-to-end vendor interoperability and eases IoT system development and integration through fully open, future-proof APIs with no vendor lock-in.
- Ease of Integration: The data-centric approach used by DDS allows the definition of common and extensible data models for seamless Information Technology (IT) / Operational Technology (OT) interoperability. Its loosely coupled and anonymous data-sharing abstraction completely hides connectivity and topology details from applications.
- Performance Efficiency and Scalability: DDS implementations can achieve point-to-point latencies that are as low as 30 µsec. and throughput of several million messages per second. It uses a very efficient wire protocol, as well as supporting content-and time-based filtering. When properly architected, DDS-based systems can achieve near-linear scalability.
- QoS-Enabled: A rich set of QoS policies allows DDS to control all aspects of data distribution, such as timeliness, traffic prioritization, reliability and resource usage.
- Security: DDS provides standardized authentication, encryption, access control and logging capabilities to enable secure end-to-end data connectivity in an IoT system.
- Scalable Discovery: For large-scale dynamic systems, DDS offers automatic discovery that provides plug-and-play functionality to simplify system integration and orchestration.
- Applicability: DDS can transparently address peer-to-peer, device-to-device, device-to- cloud, and cloud-to-cloud communication. Implementations are available for embedded, mobile, web, enterprise and cloud applications.
OMG’s Richard Soley added, “The Data Distribution Service is a proven, bullet-proof, industrial-strength solution for integrating real systems on the ground (and in the air). With secure, transactional, high-performance interoperable and portable implementations from multiple vendors, DDS is the right solution for many systems including the Industrial Internet of Things. OMG is proud to release this new source of information and updates on DDS to help organizations optimize their systems using DDS solutions.”
The Object Management Group (OMG) is an international, open membership, not-for-profit technology standards consortium. OMG Task Forces develop enterprise integration standards for a wide range of technologies and an even wider range of industries. OMG’s modeling standards enable powerful visual design, execution and maintenance of software and other processes. Visit http://www.omg.org for more information.
PrismTech’s customers deliver systems for the Internet of Things, the Industrial Internet and advanced wireless communications. PrismTech supplies the software platforms, tools and professional services they need to build solutions with the required: platform coverage, performance, scalability, efficiency, flexibility and robustness. PrismTech’s customers service many market sectors, including: industry, energy, healthcare, transportation, finance, aerospace and defense. For additional information about PrismTech, visit the web site at http://www.prismtech.com.