LAS VEGAS–Kionix, Inc., a top-three provider of MEMS inertial sensors for consumer products, today introduced the KXG02, a low-power, low-current, 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer combination device for high-volume consumer applications. Targeting a rapidly growing market predicted to reach $724.5 million by 2014, according to IHS iSuppli, the KXG02 enables six degrees of freedom for tablets, smartphones, television remote controllers, video game consoles and other hot consumer electronics. Integrated support for third-party magnetometers enables nine degrees of freedom.
The KXG02 features a low-power architecture with industry-leading 4mA maximum operating current. A low-power, embedded wake-up function contains an interrupt engine that can be configured by the user to report when qualified changes in acceleration occur. The user has the option to enable or disable specific axes and specific directions, as well as to specify the delay time.
“Our new 6-axis accelerometer/gyroscope is a compelling product that directly addresses the needs of customers for a high-performance part with a small footprint, low current and the intelligence to help manage the overall power requirements of their designs,” said Scott Miller, vice president of engineering, Kionix. “The KXG02 combo can provide some important benefits to product designers looking to conserve circuit-board real estate, reduce power and reduce the overall part count to simplify their designs.”
- Strikes a balance between current consumption and noise performance with excellent bias stability over temperature. Bias errors resulting from assembly can be trimmed digitally by the user;
- 1024-byte FIFO buffer and auxiliary I2C bus collect data from both the internal and external sensors and send packets of sensor data to the host processor;
- Features I2C digital outputs with user-programmable gyroscope full-scale ranges of ±256, ±512, ±1024, and ±2048 º/sec and user-programmable ±2g/±4g/±8g full-scale range for the accelerometer;
- Embedded temperature sensor;
- User-selectable bandwidth;
- Accelerometer and gyro outputs with up to 16-bit resolution;
- Supply voltages between 2.6V and 3.3V, and digital communication voltages between 1.8V and 3.3V; and
- Internal voltage regulator.
The KXG02 is targeted to sample in Q1 2012 to qualified customers. It is available in a single 4 x 4 x 0.9mm, 24-pin, LGA, plastic package. For more information, please email:firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact the Kionix sales office nearest you.
Kionix, Inc., located in Ithaca, New York, USA, is a wholly owned subsidiary of ROHM Co., Ltd. of Japan. The Company pioneered high-aspect-ratio silicon micromachining based on research originally conducted at Cornell University and today enjoys a global reputation for MEMS product design, process engineering and quality manufacturing. Consumer electronics leaders worldwide utilize Kionix’s products, development tools and application support to enable motion-based gaming, user-interface functionality in mobile handsets, personal navigation and TV remote controllers, and hard-disk-drive drop protection in mobile products. Kionix’s MEMS products are further diversified into the automotive, industrial and healthcare sectors. Kionix offers one of the industry’s broadest families of MEMS devices that incorporates 3-axis accelerometers and gyroscopes along with the mixed-signal-interface integrated circuits that provide algorithm processing of sensor data. Kionix is ISO9001:2000 and TS16949 registered. For more information on Kionix, visit: http://www.kionix.com. For additional information on ROHM, visit http://www.rohm.com.